Aikido

Aikido

Monday, March 22, 2010

Update..

So whats new in the Aikido world and me. In December 2009 I passed my Shodan test and now have rank. Currently waiting on my certificate from Japan and my Yudansha book to come. The test went pretty well it was just the aftermath that irked me a little. As we had some falling out with my teacher due to the in-efficiencies of a few of the people who tested with me and my teacher decided to take it out on all of us. Of course he felt the need to take us into a room and be-little us like we were school children. But he apologized later on and now were off on a new start.

Training is still going well. I split up my time between Aikido Schools of NJ and Aikido of Red Bank. I've been attending alot of the weapons classes at Aikido of Red Bank. Due to alot of exposure to the Jo. Which is roughly a 4-5 ft staff and usually made out of a soft/hard wood like white oak or hickory. Aikido of Red Bank follows the Sugano sensei philosophy of Boken which is very nice and effective, and when your in a small class of more advanced people you really get to train.

Both my Boken and Jo are Applacian Hickory and hand made with no sand paper. Meaning they are made with files and rasps, so you can really feel the grooves and fit nicely into your hands.
They were made at Kingfisher woodworks and were a little costly. But you pay for what you get especially in nicely made wood weapons. If you feel a need to check them out theyre over here:
http://kingfisherwoodworks.com/
Mines in the hand cut section and are an Iwama brand.

No comments: